Dr. Heidi Semanie
This Learn True Health episode features Dr. Heidi Semanie, who, after the following experience, obtained her Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University. She also has a B.S. in Biological Science with minor degrees in English and Anthropology.
No level of education, no number of degrees could have prepared her for her extremely challenging three months as a paramedic in the horrific aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. She describes the magnitude of work, of need, of the devastation she saw.
It was like a war zone with looting and police escorts. Imagine seeing a bathtub in a tree, houses piled on top of each other, dead bodies that you must remove from the raging river.
Before this experience Dr. Semanie had wanted to become a trauma surgeon, but having seen what she saw, having been so intimately involved, “I just thought that I didn’t want to be the person somebody saw once a year to check in. I wanted to be somebody who could be on the ground, helping, hands-on.”
Dr. Semanie describes her student years at Bastyr University. She made some life-changing discoveries that will encourage Learn True Health listeners to reach for the stars in their quest for excellence.
Here’s What You’ll Discover:
- How to make your experiences become a positive predictor of your future calling.
- How to listen for the whisper so you don’t get hit by the cosmic 2 by 4!
- What it’s like to witness the aftermath of a natural disaster and how to survive the experience in a positive way.
- How to listen to the Universe so that life sets you up to succeed.
Health AH-HA Moment:
The Four Agreements are:
4. Emotional Connection with Loved Ones.
- You need to be healthy yourself before you can help anyone else.
- Always listen to your intuition.
- After hearing Dr. Semanie’s choices, decide what 3 items from a supplements store you would want to have on a tropical desert island.
- Spend the next week being honest with yourself. Discover what stories you tell yourself that keep you from your intended goals, e.g. “I’ll just have this one chocolate because I need the sugar.”